Re: Font-lock misfontifies foo::bar in C++

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Font-lock misfontifies foo::bar in C++
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:53:16 +0900

"Marshall, Simon" <address@hidden> writes:
> The only thing that could raise my hackles is that I feel I'm just repeating
> myself.  And this has been going on nearly 2 months.  I don't mind
> resolution taking that long---nobody is paid to do this---it's the lack of
> progress on such a simple issue that is frustrating.

Well, while I agree with you that fontifying Foo:: as a type "makes more
sense" from a pedantic point of view, than fontifying as a constant, I
think most people don't really care much about such details of
fontification as long as it "looks OK" (mostly meaning important syntax
bits are visually distinctive but not annoying).

With my face setup, the current fontification looks fine, indeed I never
noticed this little inconsistency.

Now that I think about it, in fact, I rather _like_ that Foo:: is not
fontified as a type, because in a case like:

   void
   EnvmapLight::gen_samples (const Intersect &isec, SampleRayVec &samples) const

I get visually distinct faces for "void", "EnvmapLight", and
"gen_samples", which helps the readability of the code a bit I think.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.