Re: Nested sit-for's

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Nested sit-for's
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:28:09 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>> I don't know if it is related, but from time to time (at least a few
>> times daily), the cursor disappears, and doesn't return until I
>> do "something" (e.g. click the mouse or type a key).
>>
>> I use blinking cursor, but when this happens, it typically seems to
>> happen immediately after some event that updates part of the screen
>> (like buffer switching), i.e. not as an effect of first showing the
>> cursor and then "blinking it off".
>
> If this is true, maybe it is a redisplay bug.

It may be so, but IIRC, when I last tried to debug this problem
(months ago), the cursor did actually blink (shortly) every
30-something seconds.

> Could you try interrupting Emacs through gdb when this occurs, and
> inspecting Vtimer_list to see if the `blink-cursor-timer-function'
> timer is still active?

I can't.  As soon as emacs loses focus, it shows the (hollow) cursor.

> Another avenue of investigation is to add (redisplay) to
> `blink-cursor-timer-function'.  If that stops the problem, that means
> there is a redisplay bug.

I don't know how to provoke the bug -- it happens quite rarely, and
I never found a way to reproduce it.   When I tried to debug this, I
did add some trace-dump to the timer routines in timer.el, but I never
really got anything which could explain what the problem was.

> I have unfortunately been unable to reproduce this bug.

So have I...  :-|   It just happens...