Find file in Dired - let M-n yank name at point?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Find file in Dired - let M-n yank name at point?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:50:31 -0700

Just a thought, probably not well thought out -

What about binding `C-x C-f', `C-x 4 f', `C-x C-v', and so on, in Dired, to
Dired-specific commands that let you use `M-n' to yank (append)
`dired-get-file-for-visit' onto the directory name that is the
`default-filename' arg for `read-file-name'?

That is, not change the default value for these commands, which is the
directory name, but let you add the file name under the cursor to that
directory name via `M-n'.

`a', `f', `RET', `o', `e', and `mouse-2' visit the file under the cursor
quickly, but they don't let you edit the name first.

I haven't tried this yet; it just occurred to me. Don't know if it would be
a good idea, but I can't see why not. Currently, `M-n' just says there is
nothing available. Why not make this name available, and give `M-n'
something useful to do in this situation?