Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 09:45:03 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>>     How do you stop a command like `find-grep-dired'? I tried C-g
>> and     M-ESC-ESC but none of them worked. I looked in the menus,
>> but I found     nothing obvious there. (I did this on w32.)
>>
>> Since the buffer fills asynchronously, C-g won't stop it.
>> Killing the buffer should do so.  Does that work?
>>

> It does, but suppose you want the information that is already there?
> That could be the case for `grep-find' for example. Why not bind C-g
> to something like this in those buffers (or globally)?
>
> (defun keyboard-process-quit()
>  "Delete buffer process if there is one or signal a `quit' condition."
>  (interactive)
>  (if (get-buffer-process (current-buffer))
>      (delete-process (current-buffer))
>    (keyboard-quit)))

Because C-g is used to abort a lot of actions, like searching,
incomplete key sequences and so on.  When we are doing M-!, Emacs
stays busy and so C-g is an unambiguous way of stopping a program.
But in comint buffers, I'd want something more explicit like C-c C-c
(incidentally, isn't that the way to kill already?).