Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to stop find-grep-dired?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:04:59 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Another problem perhaps. If C-g is bound to keyboard-quit I get
> messages like this in the message buffer:
>
>    QuitError during redisplay: (quit)
>    Error during redisplay: (quit)
>
>> It would also
>> mean that the sequence to stop a process would need to be C-g y and I
>> don't see the advantage over C-c C-k.
>>
> The advantage is that the user just have to remember C-g.
>
>> There is a concern that we should probably unify on this key sequence:
>> for example, I have been bitten by C-c C-c actually killing a CVS
>> process.
>>
> I agree with the principle but I would prefer C-g for similar reasons.

I disagree.  C-g is supposed to stop Emacs, not other processes.  I
don't consider it a good idea to have to worry about arbitrary
processes terminating.  IIRC, keyboard-quit events even cut straight
across a lot of the input loop.  It is probably not even useful to
rebind them in local keymaps, since those keymaps might not be active
at the time C-g is pressed.