Re: python-mode patch

From: Steven Huwig
Subject: Re: python-mode patch
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:31:01 -0400

On Aug 20, 2006, at 3:53 PM, Slawomir Nowaczyk wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:19:58 -0400
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

#> You don't need to add your name here, but if the patch is accepted you'll
#>     need a ChangLog entry.
#>
#> Looking at Slawomir's first message, it certainly sounds like an
#> improvement; but I do not know Python, so if there is some drawback, I
#> would not know.
#>
#> Is there anyone here who knows Python and can advise me on whether to
#> install this patch?

Apparently not :(

I tried the patch and it didn't seem to affect anything negatively.  I
have always assumed that there was some reason that the mode forced a
new namespace, but perhaps that is not the case.

 Therefore I do not think it is
a good idea to give up developing our version.

I do use python-mode from CVS Emacs exclusively when coding Python.
It works well enough as a basic mode, though the interactive portions
are primitive when compared to some other Emacs modes.

Taking it into account, I would like to become a maintainer of
python-mode. I would also like to try and fix as much as possible (due
to lack of my time it may not end up being all that much, though)
before the release. It should not cause any real problems since, as I
said, nobody appears to be using the mode currently.

I am interested in testing and contributing fixes to python-mode as
well.  Some time ago I worked on some python-complete-symbol issues,
and a few weeks ago I spent some time trying to fix an issue with
commands that need to start the inferior process, before giving up for
lack of time.

It would be good to have unambiguous way of talking about those modes.
Does anyone have a suggestion how to avoid confusion?

Would saying "GNU python-mode" make sense?

How about "Emacs 22 python-mode?"

Steven Huwig