RE: Help buffer link on name of customizable thing (at start of buffer)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Help buffer link on name of customizable thing (at start of buffer)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:52:22 -0700

        Also, the same form (i.e., the same *Help* buffer layout)
        should be used for faces and user options. This is not
        the case now. Currently, `describe-face'
        puts a "(customize this face)" link right after the face
        name, on the first *Help* buffer line, whereas
        `describe-variable' puts a "You can customize
        this variable" link at the bottom of the buffer, just
        before the [back] button. The latter form is preferable, IMO.

    I did describe-face that way for a reason.  The face-spec data is
    usually big enough that it won't fit on the screen.  If we put "You
    can customize this face" at the end, the user would not initially see
    it.  For describe-variable, that CAN happen, but it is rare.

Good point.

    There is no problem in principle with putting at the top
    for variables, just as it is for faces.

It would be good to treat them similarly, so people used to one don't have
to hunt with the other.