Re: gnus makes emacs lose response

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: gnus makes emacs lose response
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:44:14 +0200

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * Ralf Angeli (2006-04-17) writes:
>
>>> Lisp Backtrace:
>>> "accept-process-output"
>>> "imap-wait-for-tag"
>>> "nnimap-retrieve-groups"
>>> "gnus-retrieve-groups"
>>
>> BTW, in contrast to Emacs on GNU/Linux, the Windows port of Emacs does
>> not hang.  Perhaps this information helps identifying the cause.
>
> After some messing around I found the difference between between both
> cases.  Under Windows the process (e.g. openssl s_client) dies as soon
> as the modem connection is closed while on GNU/Linux it is kept alive.
> That means after reconnecting to the internet under Windows a new
> process is started which has no problem communicating to the server
> while on GNU/Linux the old one is reused which obviously cannot cope
> with the new internet connection.

But Emacs should still respond to C-g in this case ... or?

> I am not sure what the right course of action on GNU/Linux would be to
> remedy the problem.  Should programs like openssl die when the
> internet connection is being closed?  Or renegotiate a connection?
> Should Emacs kill the respective processes if there is no answer after
> a certain amount of time and start new ones?  I guess the latter
> suggestion is not sensible because Emacs does not know why there is no
> answer.  It could as well be that the server is down.

Emacs cannot do that in general -- but Gnus may know when it makes
sense to kill the process and start a new one....

I see similar problems connection to one of the news servers at my ISP.
I just interrupt Gnus, and make anoter refresh -- I guess Gnus could
just as well do this automatically if there is no response from the
server it used last time.

> For now, I think, I can work around this problem by writing a script
> which closes the internet connection as well as kills all openssl (and
> similar) processes.

Could you write something for PROBLEMS on the matter?