Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:12:56 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Kim,
>
> I am trying to merge info about cua-mode and viper-mode into the
> tutorial. Can you please look at the attached file and give some
> comments?

I don't see any problem with the things you have written about
cua-mode as such.

However, the statement "you have enabled cua-mode" may very
well be false  (if someone is able to enable cua-mode, they
are likely to be past tutorial state).  So maybe the text
should be "cua-mode is enabled".

>           Especially what should be said about the ESC key.

I don't use viper, so I prefer not to answer that question!

I tried to enter the tutorial after enabling viper-mode,
but I didn't see any information about VIPER in the help
buffer...  so I don't know how to activate the stuff about
vi in your patch...

In any case, I think that emacs should simply reject to run the
tutorial if VIPER is enabled (or turn it off in the tutorial and NOT
give the option to enable it in the tutorial).

The current code to deal with this is overly complex -- and
the tutorial is about learning to use basic Emacs bindings.

Does the tutorial make sense at all in viper mode???

BTW, the patch mixes two sets of changes ... for the key binding
stuff and for running multiple tutorials at the same time.

The latter part should IMO, never be installed -- it is just
too obscure for normal users!