Re: python-mode patch

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: python-mode patch
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:40:15 -0500

    > Can you give us some step-by-step explanation of what you're thinking of?

create test.py:
---------------
import pdb

pdb.set_trace()

a = 1
b = 2

print a + b

---------------

from test.py buffer create interactive shell: C-c C-!
switch back to test.py: C-x o
run it: C-c C-c
switch back to interactive shell: C-x o
step: n

test.py reverts to /usr/tmp/python-11756sPY and loses fontification.

sf.net's python-mode also reverts to a tmp buffer but does not lose
fontification.

Ideally there would be no tmp buffer at all, it would use the real file... and
if not loaded would load it.  I can't tell you how many times I've edited a tmp
buffer... really maddening.  Ironically editing the tmp buffer by mistake is
less likely with CVS python-mode because it doesn't fontify it.  But if I had to
choose, I'd go with fontification.

Also, it would also be nice to have a binding that would both start the shell
and execute the current buffer rather than the 4 commands needed currently.