Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 00:06:21 -0400

    In any case, I think that emacs should simply reject to run the
    tutorial if VIPER is enabled

I tend to agree.  And I think it should be the same for CUA mode.

    It would be much better if you just placed a few yellow lines
    near the top with the following wording:

     Some of the standard key bindings described in this tutorial
     have been modified, so Emacs may behave differently from
     what you learn here.  Click here for more details: [Details]

    And then restore all key bindings (if possible) to their default
    inside the tutorial.

I don't see much point in teaching an absolute beginner standard Emacs
if that is not what he will get when he runs Emacs normally.

Another idea occurs to me: display the list of changed bindings
together with a message like this:

    The tutorial won't work for you, because someone
    has customized your Emacs, changing these basic commands.
    Probably whoever set up Emacs for you did it in a nonstandard way.
    Please ask him to teach you to use this nonstandard Emacs
    or else ask him to change your Emacs setup back to standard.

That has the benefit of being simple, avoiding all the problems
people are talking about now, and encouraging people not to
customize Emacs when they set it up for others.