Re: gnus makes emacs lose response

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: gnus makes emacs lose response
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:45:30 -0400

    > That means after reconnecting to the internet under Windows a new
    > process is started which has no problem communicating to the server
    > while on GNU/Linux the old one is reused which obviously cannot cope
    > with the new internet connection.

    But Emacs should still respond to C-g in this case ... or?

Yes--if C-g fails to work, it is a bug.

So we need to determine WHY it fails to work.
Perhaps wait_reading_process_output, when called on behalf
of accept-process-output, fails to take note of quit-flag.

Can someone please investigate whether that is true?

    > I am not sure what the right course of action on GNU/Linux would be to
    > remedy the problem.  Should programs like openssl die when the
    > internet connection is being closed?  Or renegotiate a connection?

I don't know whether openssl can keep working when a phone connection
drops and is reestablished, but I have seen scp connections keep
working when I removed and then reinserted a Wifi card.  These cases
are not the same but they are analogous; if the openssl/phone case
does not work now, it ought to work.

    I see similar problems connection to one of the news servers at my ISP.
    I just interrupt Gnus, and make anoter refresh -- I guess Gnus could
    just as well do this automatically if there is no response from the
    server it used last time.

I don't entirely understand that proposal.  Does it aim to work around
the failure of C-g?  Does it aim to DTRT without need to type C-g?
If openssl could resume its connection when you reconnect the phone line,
would that make this proposal unnecessary?  Would that make this proposal
undesirable or incorrect?