Re: Problem building emacs-lisp-intro.dvi.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem building emacs-lisp-intro.dvi.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:49:27 -0400

> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:26:41 +0000 (UTC)
> From: "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Eli said
>
>     IIRC, the -I switch was supported by makeinfo since day one.
>
> which may be the case.  However, the Texinfo manual (version 4.8, 29
> December 2004) says
>
> `-I DIR'
>      Append DIR to the directory search list for finding files that are
>      included using the address@hidden' command.  By default, `makeinfo'
>      searches only the current directory.  If DIR is not given, the
>      current directory `.' is appended.  Note that DIR can actually be
>      a list of several directories separated by the usual path
>      separator character (`:' on Unix, `;' on MS-DOS/MS-Windows).
>
> I do not know whether texinfo.tex, which is input with a `\input'
> command, is considered an address@hidden' file.

Sorry, I confused the issue: the -I switch to texi2dvi has nothing at
all to do with makeinfo, since makeinfo doesn't need to read
texinfo.tex.  texinfo.tex is read by TeX; makeinfo simply ignores the
"\input texinfo.tex" line.

So the question here is whether texi2dvi invokes TeX in a way that
would find texinfo.tex in a directory mentione in the -I switch.