Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:20:19 -0400

    Other than that, the tutorial is quite useful even for users of CUA!
    So one approach is to just bind locally bind cua-enable-cua-keys to
    nil in the tutorial buffer and make a note like this:

      The purpose of the tutorial is to teach you the basic, standard
      Emacs key bindings.  Therefore, CUA mode's C-z C-x C-c and C-v
      bindinds have been disabled in this tutorial buffer.  [Details]

I have no objection to that.  If you think it does a good job of
dealing with CUA mode, then let's do it.

But we should make it offer to delete the customization
in case the user was not asked about it.

    If you did not make this customization yourself, or request it,
    that means someone has decided to send you down the path of
    learning a non-standard way of using Emacs.  You might prefer to
    learn the standard Emacs commands.

    You can remove the customizations that were set up for you
    by typing `s' now.  That will rename your Emacs init file
    so that it doesn't take effect.

    We could do similar things for viper, ie.

In theory we could do this, but is it adequate for learning to use
Emacs with viper?  I doubt it.

    And if other key bindings have been disabled:

      The purpose of the tutorial is to teach you the basic, standard
      Emacs key bindings.  Therefore, some non-standard key bindinds
      have been disabled in this tutorial buffer.  [Details]

No, in general this is not a useful way to deal with the situation.
For instance, it is not useful to teach a user to type C-d to delete
forward if in his ordinary editing it will do something else.

CUA mode is a special case only because you, an expert on it, affirm
that the difference is not important, that using the ordinary tutorial
with CUA's C-v disabled is ok as a way to learn the basics of using
Emacs in CUA mode.  That is not true for nonstandard bindings in
general.

So I reject this approach in general, but I will accept it for CUA mode.