Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:30:28 +0200

>     Other than that, the tutorial is quite useful even for users of CUA!
>     So one approach is to just bind locally bind cua-enable-cua-keys to
>     nil in the tutorial buffer and make a note like this:
>
>       The purpose of the tutorial is to teach you the basic, standard
>       Emacs key bindings.  Therefore, CUA mode's C-z C-x C-c and C-v
>       bindinds have been disabled in this tutorial buffer.  [Details]
>
> I have no objection to that.  If you think it does a good job of
> dealing with CUA mode, then let's do it.

IMO, it is ok.

> But we should make it offer to delete the customization
> in case the user was not asked about it.

Too complex for very little benefit IMHO.

We don't know what method was used to enable CUA-mode.  It could be a
customization, but it could also be an explicit call to CUA-mode in
emacs.  So that is not trivial to do right in all cases.

> In theory we could do this, but is it adequate for learning to use
> Emacs with viper?  I doubt it.

Ok, I agree.  So we seem to agree that the tutorial should not start
at all if viper is enabled, but just list the differences in
key bindings.

>       The purpose of the tutorial is to teach you the basic, standard
>       Emacs key bindings.  Therefore, some non-standard key bindinds
>       have been disabled in this tutorial buffer.  [Details]
>
> No, in general this is not a useful way to deal with the situation.

Ok.

> So I reject this approach in general, but I will accept it for CUA mode.

Ok.

Lennart, comments?