Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:53:23 -0400

On 8/24/06, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:
"Ken Manheimer" <address@hidden> writes:

> i'm not clear how the two interact - will the :cursor setting only
> affect glyphs larger than 4 times the frame's default font size?  or
> does it mean that glyphs will have particular cursors if they either
> are 4 times the size or if they have an explicit :cursor display
> setting?  my concern is settled either way, but the documentation may
> be complex if there's no simple answer.

A :cursor property takes precedence over the other methods.

> i also wonder whether it will be confusing to have the option for
> graphics formats that don't support transparency, but have no strong
> opinions about this.

It is _your_ responsibility to use the proper cursor for your image :-)

fair enough.

> i agree w/david about making the scaling threshold a parameter.  that
> could actually help with documentation by providing an artifact that's
> conveys some of the explanation.  i would lean towards a scaling
> factor rather than absolute pixels/points, but haven't thought that
> through.

It's no big deal.

> by the way, i (eagerly) applied your patch by hand, but am unable to
> compile - i'm getting complaints about QCursor being undeclared:

You overlooked the first part of the patch which adds QCcursor...

whoops.  thanks, that did it!  i now get a full box cursor showing
through the transparent parts of my glyphs - with no additional
changes on my part.

in case some exercising of the :cursor part of the change would be
helpful, i experimented with changing the image cursor to hbar.  i was
unable to see any change - the solid cursor still shows behind the
image. i tried using text-properties-at to check whether the :cursor
property was there, and got:

(display (image :type xpm :cursor hbar :file
"/home/klm/lib/emacs/allout_dev/allout-icons-dark-bg/closed.xpm"
:ascent center :mask (heuristic t)))

i would expect to see an hbar.  my expectation or actions may be
mistaken, and i don't need to clear this up (the full box is what i
need), but can experiment further if it would be helpful.

--
ken
address@hidden