Re: gnus makes emacs lose response

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: gnus makes emacs lose response
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:15:08 +0200

>     The proposal is simply that Gnus should detect a stale connection to
>     an NNTP server -- if the server doesn't respond in a timely manner, it
>     should drop the connection and open a new one.
>
> It depends on the precise definition of "stale".  If it would include
> a connection made via WiFi when the card has been pulled out, then it
> would create a bug.

I don't follow.

I'm talking about Gnus detecting that the TCP connection to the NNTP
server is "stale" by putting a timeout on the response.
I.e. I don't know about an underlying "physical" WiFi or PPP connection.

You say that Emacs _must_ hang until you decide to put the WiFi card
back in or you hit C-g to completely terminate the fetching of new
articles and messages (from any server)?

Why can't Gnus decide that "hey I've waited 15 seconds for a response,
so let's stop this nonsense and try again"?  And if the second attempt
fails as well, conclude that that particular Mail or NNTP server is not
reachable at this time and go on to other business?

In my setup, I don't use openssl or any such fancy stuff -- which may
be why I'm able to interrupt the "stale connection" with C-g.