Re: python-mode: make sure output is not eaten

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: python-mode: make sure output is not eaten
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:10:46 -0400

> i suspect that the "\n\n" you all are referring to is specifically to
> provide that newline.

Indeed.  But I think it was a mistake for python.el to do that.  I suspect
that in most cases, if we want to send multi-line statements to the python
process, we should do it via a temp file, but even if we don't it's
preferable to have a separate command.  Or at least, only add "\n\n" if the
string already contains a \n.

The main problem with sending multiple lines directly is that you get
multiple prompts in return and it's difficult for the process filter to drop
all the unneeded ones without risking dropping some needed ones also.

        Stefan