Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:12:15 +0200

>     > But we should make it offer to delete the customization
>     > in case the user was not asked about it.
>
>     Too complex for very little benefit IMHO.
>
>     We don't know what method was used to enable CUA-mode.  It could be a
>     customization, but it could also be an explicit call to CUA-mode in
>     emacs.  So that is not trivial to do right in all cases.
>
> It is pretty easy to recognize those two methods and DTRT for them.

In one case, it is set system wide in site-load.el.

In another case, it is set in a shared file loaded from .emacs.

In a third case, it is set in another user's .emacs file invoked
through --user option.

Besides, I doubt that very many users would want to disable CUA-mode
if they got their .emacs file from a collegue or friend -- such persons
are often "in sync" with respect to their tools and habits.

I still think this is too complex for very little benefit.

In any case, I will definitely not write the necessary code!

> It is also pretty easy to recognize when neither of those methods was used,
> In the case of Viper, I would rather have it say "You enabled Viper
> mode" and not list the specific differences (there would be too many
> of them, right?).

I suppose so, and the message would only list those keys which correspond
to keys used in the tutorial, so it would not be complete anyway.