Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:30:21 +0200

>     > I think trying to prevent people from shooting in their foot is the
> wrong
>     > way to go, since it'll also prevent them from doing other things.
>
> The problem here is a matter of one expert shooting multiple newbies
> in the foot.

And that same expert shooting multiple other experts in various other
part of their body :-)

>     > I'd rather we put some kind of loud warning on the splash page if we
> detect
>     > something like viper or cua enabled before .emacs gets loaded.
>
>     That's ok with me (I know how to inhibit the splash screen for the
> machines
>     where I do this).
>
> It sounds like you're saying that the splash screen warning won't
> solve the problem.

It will solve the problem for me.

> But perhaps I have misunderstood.  Does "do this" refer to setting up
> your PC for you to use it under various different names,

Yes.

>                                                          or does it
> refer to getting Emacs newcomers started using nonstandard bindings?

NO.  There are no other users on this system than myself.

I would never setup a system with CUA or viper enabled by default.
But I would tell users how to enable them, if they ask!