Re: address@hidden: vertical-motion]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: vertical-motion]
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:10:08 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Would someone please DTRT and ack?
>>>
>>> From: KOBAYASHI Yasuhiro <address@hidden>
>>> Subject: vertical-motion
>>> To: address@hidden
>>> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:13:30 +0900
>>>
>>> It seems that vertical-motion is not right in the case which
>>> some propertized texts are included in the line.
>>
>> I want to add that navigating across large images has become a
>> completely unworking mess in the last year.  No combination of
>> forward-line and scroll-down by now makes it possible to reliably move
>> across such an item (either direction), and it is very unpredictable
>> what will happen at all.  A year ago, Emacs 22 was on a good track.
>
> Can you point to some changes which made things worse?

There have been so many changes in that area that it would be hard to
point to any particular one.  There was progressive deterioration.
There was even a time where the screen display and the behavior could
get out of sync (the cursor displays at a different point than it
behaves) and I am not sure this has not occured recently.

Since you said no fixes where intended before the release, I stopped
actively checking for things like that since it would only annoy me to
no good cause.

And there are things where clicking on some highlighted line (probably
not fully visible) will cause the line to jump away in some manner of
recentering, thus evading the click action, and jump back afterwards.
Sort of click-avoidance-mode.

I just don't understand how stuff like that tests as an improvement.

>> The last bug reports I sent in were basically met with "this is not
>> going to get fixed before the release".
>
> I would like to fix it ... but this is not trivial, and I've yet to
> find a good way to do it (which doesn't break a lot of other code).
>
>> Very frustrating, since we had stuff that worked almost perfectly in
>> that regard one year ago.  Now the situation appears at least as bad
>> as in Emacs 21.
>
> I share your frustration.
>
> Do forward-char / backward-char work better in these cases??

Irrelevant.  I use the equivalent of auto-reveal-mode on
forward-char/backward-char.