Re: makeinfo 4.7

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: makeinfo 4.7
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:37:30 -0400

> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:30:01 +0200
>
> > I thought the GNU project was about being able to modify the manual,
> > not only use whatever is shipped with the tarballs.
>
> If you are modifying the manual, you can be expected to be using
> development tools that are not from the stone age.

If it is really necessary to ask them to upgrade, I agree.  But this
is not our case.  Are you saying we should ask people to upgrade for
no good reason at all?

> That is nothing an inexperienced user would do.

There's nothing in "make info" that requires any particular
experience, IMO.

> > On top of that, a large number of users who aren't developers are
> > using the CVS code, where you must have Texinfo to produce the
> > manual.
>
> Again, this is nothing an inexperienced user would do.

I think you should check your facts.  It is no longer true that only
hackers use the CVS code.