change cursor type when idle

From: Drew Adams
Subject: change cursor type when idle
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:48:10 -0700

Another possible (minor) feature to consider for after the release: As an
option, let users switch cursor type automatically when Emacs is idle.

I've been using this for a while, and I like it. I like a bar cursor for
editing, but the bar cursor is hard to locate, when I'm not already looking
at it or near it. So, I use an idle timer to change it to a (blinking) box
cursor while Emacs is idle. I find this helps quite a bit - without it, it's
hard to use a bar cursor, IMO.

Users can choose not to use this, and they can toggle it on and off. They
can also change the number of seconds to wait before the automatic
cursor-type change (2 sec, by default).