Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 05:52:25 -0400

    > No one should do that!  People are not supposed to start off
    > new users with nonstandard Emacs settings.

    So why do we have site-start.el and site-lisp/default.el ?

For things other than changing the user's key bindings.

    The easiest way for me to ensure that all these "pseudo users"
    have the same emacs setup is to use site-start.el FOR ME AND ONLY ME.

    So, it's not "people" doing that -- it's "me".

You're the only one involved, in this scenario, so you're
not treating anyone else badly.

But this is a special case, and you're the one who has told me that
some sysadmins set up Emacs in a nonstandard way for _other people_.

    And what exactly do you intend to change?  Enabling cua-mode,
    viper-mode, delete-selection-mode, pc-selection-mode, glasses-mode,
    .. any minor mode?

Perhaps this should be done for whichever modes we find are often
being imposed on other users in this way.