Default init files in GNU/Linux distributions (was: bug in 22.0.50.1 ??

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Default init files in GNU/Linux distributions (was: bug in 22.0.50.1 ?? no rmailgen.el)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:12:02 +0200

On Mon, Aug 28 2006, ken wrote:

[ ~/.gnu-emacs file ]
> My best and most dispassionate estimation is that it was put there when
> the account was created-- it is a standard file in /etc/skel/--

It's probably from SUSE's Emacs package:

$ rpm -qf /etc/skel/.gnu-emacs
emacs-21.3-206
$ cat /etc/SuSE-release
SUSE LINUX 10.0 (i586) OSS
VERSION = 10.0

SUSE reads ~/.gnu-emacs from ~/.emacs when not running XEmacs.  But as
we can see, some of the tests in those files are broken or at least
only suitable when using the Emacs packages from the distribution.

There's lot of other code in ~/.emacs / .gnu-emacs from SUSE that I
would not recommend.

> and/or a file of exactly the same name and contents was put there by
> the CVS emacs itself upon installation.  I'm going to guess you
> don't believe it was the latter.

The CVS installation does not install any files in ~/ (unless you set
--prefix=$HOME or similar).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,