Re: cua-mode and the tutorial

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: cua-mode and the tutorial
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:32:24 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
1) Remove all non-default key bindings in the tutorial. I used that approach from the beginning so I have code for that.

I don't like the approach of having the tutorial teach standard
bindings in an Emacs where they won't work.
I can see four main possibilities:

1) Like above, but you do not like that option

2) Keep the nonstandard bindings and tell the user about it. This can be done the way Kim suggested (a small yellow screen with a details link). The changed bindings can be marked in the tutorial text or they can be marked and replaced.

3) A combination of 1 and 2. Let the user decide. (This is perhaps a bit complicated for a tutorial.)

4) Stop the user from running the tutorial. I do not like this option.