Re: fill-paragraph vs. financial institutions

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: fill-paragraph vs. financial institutions
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 01:08:59 +0300

> adaptive-fill-regexp has an explicit alternative to match prefixes
> such as `NNN.'  This would only apply in the case where the first two
> lines of a paragraph both start that way.
>
> Maybe we should delete that case.  Is that really a case that people
> use?  In some kinds of outlines, the first line of a paragraph would
> start that way, but you wouldn't put the prefix on every line.
> Can anyone think of a reason why we should keep this case?

Sometimes I get bitten by this too when Emacs convert a list of floating
point numbers e.g.

0.1 0.2
0.3 0.4
0.5 0.6
0.7 0.8

into

0.1 0.2 3 0.4 5 0.6 7 0.8

Note that adaptive-fill-regexp also supports prefixes of numbers
in parentheses like "(1)".  I never encountered a situation
where such prefixes cause a problem, so I suggest only to remove
a point (underlined below) from this part of adaptive-fill-regexp:

               =

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/