global-auto-composition-mode, emacs-basic-display, and CANNOT_DUMP

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: global-auto-composition-mode, emacs-basic-display, and CANNOT_DUMP
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:08:01 -0400

Hi,

In the file composite.el, the value of autloaded variable 'global-auto-composition-mode' is given initial value

(not (or noninteractive emacs-basic-display))

emacs-basic-display is defined in startup.el, while the autoload goes into loaddefs.el

However, as defined in loadup.el, loaddefs.el gets loaded first.

When emacs is dumping, 'noninteractive' is true and the 'or' in the code above short-circuits. But in CANNOT_DUMP situation, emacs-basic-display is checked in loaddefs before it has been defined in startup (loaded later), causing an abort.

I realize runs of emacs with CANNOT_DUMP must be rare these days, but if it is still supported some fix should be made. Maybe define emacs-basic-display somewhere earlier, I'm not sure?