Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:58:40 -0400

    > > i also see no visible difference when i do or don't put the cursor on
    > > the image - certainly no sign of the cursor, when it's there.  (was
    > > the corners heuristic defeated by this particular image?)
    >
    > I don't think it is applied unless one uses the :heuristik-mask
    > property or its equivalent.

    looks like that's the interface i was missing, for controlling how the
    cursor is displayed when on an image.  the info for it even mentions
    that the default heuristic is to assume the background color is the
    one that occurs most frequently in the images four corners.

If I understand these paragraphs right, the first one
seems to say that the cursor does not appear, and the second
one says the cursor will not appear unless the programmer has used
the :heuristic-mask property.  Did I understand them right?

If that is true, we have a bug, right?

But the third paragraph seems to say that the default for
:heuristic-mask is such as to make sure the cursor appears.
Did I understand that right?

If that is true, then maybe we don't have a bug.

What's the real situation here?