Re: vc-cvs-parse-entry

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc-cvs-parse-entry
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:01:38 -0400

>> > In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-windows98.3000)
>> Then it's a known problem that's pretty hard to fix:
>> w32 handles DST by changing the definition of "time 0"
> This is not really accurate, at least on newer versions of Windows;
> see below.

It may have been fixed since w98, but I'm pretty sure that's how w98 did it.

>> IIRC "cvs update" will fix things for you.

> Yes, but it's _awfully_ slow.  I needed to write a program to move the
> files' last write timestamp by N hours, to avoid the resultant lossage
> on Windows, whereby "cvs up" after a DST change can take _hours_
> because each file is sent upstream due to the time mismatch.

The "time mismatch" you see is in CVS, not in Emacs.  vc-cvs.el suffers from
the same time mismatch because it uses the same algorithm (except it's
written in elisp instead of C).  I don't think vc-cvs.el should try to be
more clever than CVS itself.

Note that if more recent versions of w32 fixed this problem, it should be
fixed for both CVS and vc-cvs.el (and pcl-cvs ;-).

> Again, sorry if what I said doesn't make sense in the context of this
> discussion.

It makes sense to me.

        Stefan