Re: address@hidden: Strange scrolling with partially visible lines.]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Strange scrolling with partially visible lines.]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 17:04:54 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> If I have a mail with an embedded image at the bottom (which runs off
>>> the frame), and I try walking over it with forward-char, instead of
>>> the cursor being displayed on the image itself (when it reaches
>>> there), the cursor blinks at the top left corner of the window (where
>>> it has no business whatsoever).  When doing another forward-char,
>>> scrolling commences to after the image.
>>
>> Kim did some changes after that, and I could not reproduce the effect.
>> Last time I looked, there were still scrolling peculiarities
>> remaining.
>
> I have looked at those problems, and I have some ideas how to fix
> them, but IIRC, we agreed back when I made the changes to make images
> scrollable (using vscroll) that we needed to rework thiscompletely
> after the release.
>
> In any case, if I find a _simple_ way to improve the current code,
> I'll install it.

I have looked some more at this problem, and one basic flaw that need
to be fixed is that to scroll through a partially visible image,
we currently always adjusts the vscroll (and keep the window-start)
also in cases where there is text above the image, so that adjusting
window start makes more sense.

This is not the only flaw though, so I'll keep looking at it...