From: Lennart Borgman
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 20:55:57 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:
Stefan Monnier wrote:
Why does not key-description use the names <page down> and <page up>?

'Cause X11 calls them `prior' and `next'?
As does MS Windows at the API level, but these messages are intended for end users, not programmers, so it is better to follow how the keys are labelled on the majority of modern keyboards than the names used in the header files.

Personally, the last time I saw these keys labelled Next and Prior was in 1992. Since then, every keyboard I have used has labelled them Page Up/Page Down or PgUp/PgDn or some other abbreviation.

But I wouldn't suggest changing this until after the release, as it probably affects lots of documentation, even if we keep the old names as aliases for backwards compatibility.

I suggest changing them at once. 14 years is a long wait. I think changing this makes it much easier for new users.

Would it be terribly difficult to try to change it in the documentation?