From: Lennart Borgman
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:31:16 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
    > <prior> and <next> are standard names, which means that users
    > can find things out about them (e.g. Google).

    Are you seriously saying that it is more simple to find something about
    the usage of these keys if you use "next" than "page down"?

Well, I don't know whether it is easier to search for one or the other. The
point is that one is a standard name, so _if_ you can find doc on it then
you have found doc about many things (e.g. apps) involving that key.
Can you please explain what standard you refer to?

And? Most users don't know that the `left' key is the left-arrow either.
Should we call it `<-'?
Are they not mostly called "left arrow" etc? Talking about them together as just "up, down, left, right" makes it rather easy to understand I guess. At least that was the case for me.

With your argument, we would not distinguish numeric keypad keys from the
identically labeled keys on the main keyboard pad. The keyboard labels only
get you so far; they don't get you to any technical info on the key
definitions (standard), and they aren't even sufficient to uniquely identify
keys.
Good point, but maybe stretched to far. Of course we should be clear enough.

And what about all the variants of the TAB key (ISO this and that, <tab> vs
C-i, etc.)? In terms of key labels, they might all be labeled "Tab", but
Emacs users must sometimes distinguish them.
Are you not mixing different levels here? Can't we be clear enough by just talking about the physical keyboard?