Re: Gnus does not handle quoting in quoted strings correctly.

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Gnus does not handle quoting in quoted strings correctly.
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:09:23 +0900

>>>>> In <address@hidden> Richard Stallman wrote:

> Please DTRT.

Done.  The changes I made in the Gnus CVS will be merged into
Emacs soon.

> if you have a mail with

> From: "foo \[bar\]" <address@hidden>

> in the headers, gnus displays the from literately as

> foo \[bar\]

> but according to RfC822/2822 "\" is used in quoted strings as special
> quoting character and is always (no matter if necessary or not)
> semantically "invisible".  So it should read:

> foo [bar]

Gnus does so now in both article and summary buffers.  Please
note that `\"' and `\\' in a quoted string are unchanged since
`"' and `\' are not qtext (cf. RFC2822 section 3.2.5).

> The other way around, when writing display names in quoted strings, no
> quoting is done even when it would be needed.  Writing a message with

> From: "foo/bar" <address@hidden>

> the From: header is copied verbatim to the outgoing mail, but should
> get quoted like:

> From: "foo//bar" <address@hidden>

Well, I made changes in Gnus' encoder so that it might convert
"foo/bar" into "foo\/bar".  Is it correct?

;; I will have no time to work on Gnus until next week.  Sorry.