Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:46:25 -0400

On 8/31/06, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
    when i tried it, the cursor wouldn't show unless i included a ":mask
    'heuristic" property.  by default, i was referring to the type of
    heuristic used when you specify 'heuristic without a specific type.

I still am not sure I understand you.  Are you saying that when you
specify `heuristic' for :mask, then the default is to choose one of
the four corners?

something like that.  (it does something complicated with combinations
of corners to choose the color to use as background.)

What happens when you do not specify any :mask attribute?
Is that the case where the cursor fails to show?

yes.

If so, then I understand; but until you confirm, I am not sure I
understand.

If I understand right, then this is a bug, as I previously said.

i think i agree.  the only question i have concerns the resonsibility
and disrcetion of the application developer.

re responsiblity - if application developers are given some recourse
to deliberately enable cursor visibility on their images, is it the
right thing to have enabling it be the default?  i'm inclined to think
so, but am not certain.  (my reason for raising the issue in the first
place was because i had not found any such recourse, and needed it.)

the discretion issue concerns whether it should be possible for the
developer to disable visibility of the cursor in images of their
choice.  i feel pretty clear that should be possible, and probably
should assume that was going to be provided, but want to make sure
that's factored into any solution.

    i believe kim suggested something like showing a margin with the
    cursor color around such images when there is no such border, which i
    expect is a good for that remaining case.

That would be bad,  since it would change the geometry.
What I think he proposed is to show the cursor over the outer parts
of the image.  That seems good for this case.

i agree.

--
ken
address@hidden