Re: UCS-2BE

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: UCS-2BE
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 02:45:33 +0300

> Ah!  So here we can see the term "UCS-2BE" as CES.  But how
> it was defined? (I don't have Unicode 1.1)

You can buy the specification for 114 Swiss francs ;-)
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=39921

> It seems that UCS-2BE is not a mis-label of UTF-16BE, then,
> it seems that treating it as a subset (not using surrogate
> pair) of UTF-16BE (as done in iconv) is the right thing.

I have the same understanding.

> I'll try to implement it (and others) in emacs-unicode-2.

Is it reasonable to use the iconv library in Emacs (to not reimplement
its encodings)?

> By the way, why do people want such many variants... sigh...

There are still some standards (e.g. in the telecom industry)
that are based on the old encodings.  I understood so that UCS-2 is
an obsolete encoding and will be replaced gradually by UTF-16.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/