Re: vc-cvs-parse-entry

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: vc-cvs-parse-entry
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 16:10:57 +0300

> Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:51:09 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>
> Eli, please look at what your system tells you about the following two
> Emacs files: "src/acldef.h" and "src/alloca.c".  I get:
>
> Entries:       /acldef.h/1.2/Mon Sep  1 15:45:52 2003//
> Emacs:                       Mon Sep  1 17:45:52 2003
> Windows:                     Mon Sep  1 17:45:52 2003
>
> Entries:      /alloca.c/1.29/Fri Jan 30 17:10:02 2004//
> Emacs:                       Fri Jan 30 17:10:02 2004
> Windows:                     Fri Jan 30 18:10:02 2004
>
> Where Entries is the entry from CVS/Entries, Emacs is a prettified
> version obtained from `file-attributes', and Windows is what WindowsME
> tells me.  I fail to understand why the values for `alloca.c' differ for
> Windows and Emacs.

Probably some mismatch in adjusting for the daylight saving offset;
the URL I mentioned in my other message suggests some hints.

> If these values are identic for you (XP I presume) than the problem
> is with Emacs for Windows98/FAT32.

See the URL I mentioned in my other message: yes, there's a difference
between FAT and NTFS volumes in this respect.

However, for a valid and meaningful comparison, the test cases you've
chosen are not good enough.  First, the actual time stamps of files in
the local sandbox depend on the exact day one checks out the CVS tree
and/or resyncs with it.  Obviously, no two people do that on the same
day; for example, my CVS tree was checked out in June 2005, so
acldef.h bears a time stamp of June 18, 2005, which is very different
from yours.  It's impossible to compare times like this.

I don't have any suggestions for how to make a meaningful comparison,
though.  There are too many system calls involved, and too many
unknowns.