Re: Gnus does not handle quoting in quoted strings correctly.

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Gnus does not handle quoting in quoted strings correctly.
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 10:41:17 +0900

> Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I agree that `\\' in a quoted string is decoded into `\'.

I've made a change further in both the v5-10 branch and the
trunk so that the decoder might do so.  Although that behavior
is different from FLIM which I always relied on as a model, it
doesn't seem to cause any harm as far as it is done in Gnus
because `\' in a quoted string is now encoded into `\\' when
sending a message.

Miles, I'm sorry to bother you again but please merge it to the
Emacs CVS.  Thanks in advance.

>> However, I don't think it is useful that
>>
>> "foo \"bar\""  is decoded into  "foo "bar""  or  foo "bar"
>>
>> because it may appear in the From header and may be used in the
>> To header when replying.

> I do agree that decoding `\"' would be a problem in such situations,
> as it wouldn't be possible determine unambiguously how to re-encode
> the string.

> I'd think the ideal solution would be to only decode `\"' for display
> (in summary and article buffers) but to keep it quoted when used to
> generate a new message (like a reply for instance).

I agree.  And it is supposed possible to achieve.  However, I
think we should not start such a development in the Emacs CVS
*now* since appearing of `\'s doesn't look so serious to me and
it seems to require that it is tested thoroughly.

> I don't know if this can be done easily or if the current code base
> doesn't allow to make this difference -- if it's to hard to do I would
> vote for leaving `\"' quoted...

I don't yet know how it is easy or difficult.  So, I vote for it
as well.