Re: sendmail-program default is determined at compilation time

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: sendmail-program default is determined at compilation time
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 05:50:19 -0400

    There is one complication: putting sendmail-program in sendmail.el
    means that it won't be available unless sendmail.el is loaded (unless
    we autoload it, which defeats the purpose of setting its default at
    compile time).  I don't know if any other parts of Emacs assume it is
    available.

feedmail.el and gnus/message.el use it.  I think it is better to make
them load sendmail.el if they need to, than to make startup.el
initialize the variable.  That way it won't add to the time
for starting Emacs (such delays add up).

Could you please DTRT?