Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 13:17:52 -0400

    > I think we have a responsibility to make sure that the default way of
    > displaying an image does work properly with the cursor.  To have some
    > peculiar option which means the cursor does not display properly might
    > be excusable, but it's not excusable for the default to display wrong.

    But it's not a new default -- it's been like that since 21.1.

Maybe that just means everybody specifies :mask.
This is definitely a bug, and I think we should fix it.

    and there is a trivial workaround.

What exactly is the workaround you recommend?

    PS: Changing this requires updates to all of X, W32 and MAC ports.

That depends on how it is done.  Let's see how that workaround works.