Re: address@hidden: Re: address@hidden: mouse-autoselect-window needs a

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: address@hidden: mouse-autoselect-window needs a de lay]]
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:59:01 +0200

>>A simple delay is standard for focus follows mouse policies.  I don't
>>really want to omit that.
>

> It is not at all standard.  For example, GNOME does not offer anything
> like that in its Window Preferences.  What it _does_ offer is a dialog
>
> Window Selection
>
> [ ] Select windows when the mouse moves over them
>
>     [ ] Raise selected windows after an interval
>     Interval before raising: [0.0-10.0, default 0.5] seconds
>
> Deactivating any of those lines will deactivate the following lines.
> The default is "off" for all options.

I thought about KDE's "delay focus".  Anyway `mouse-autoselect-window'
was and is by default nil.  The question Kim raised was whether mouse
quiescence should be considered in the first place when delayed
autoselection is on.  In this context I considered a simple timeout
"standard" because I know of implementations based on timeouts.  I'm not
aware of attempts to check mouse quiescence with respect to focus
follows mouse.

> I actually know of no window manager offering a delay before select.
> If at all, they have delay before raise.

In general, window managers don't have the problem that selecting an
option from a menu-/toolbar should be interpreted in the context of a
particular window showing a particular buffer.

>>You can always set the delay to a very small value.  In my
>>experience less than 0.2 seconds never sensibly delays selection but
>>may select the window too quickly.  It depends on your mouse mileage
>>though, personally I like nervous mice.
>

> And unloaded machines and non-networked X11 connections.  But not
> everybody is running Emacs on a machine of his dreams all of the time.

Correct.  That's why this has to be more customizable.