Re: Patch for remote files in dnd.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Patch for remote files in dnd.el
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:25:08 +0200

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> Konqueror (KDE) you can open remote files using ssh:
>
>   fish://address@hidden/home/foobar
>
> Maybe we could transform this into tramp file names?

The fish protocol expects a fish server on the remote side. Konqueror
transfers such a server (.fishsrv.pl) initially, when it doesn't exist
there.

I'm currently implementing the fish protocol for Tramp 2.1, driven by
performance considerations. But (at least for the time being) it isn't
foreseen to provide such a server by Tramp; it should be available on
the remote side already.

The fish protocol defines a fallback in case there is no server on the
remote side: use shell commands. One could say that Tramp has
implemented this fallback already :-)

Anyway, this won't be available for Emacs 22.1, because Tramp 2.0 is
integrated there.

> Bye, Reiner.

Best regards, Michael.