Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike e

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: cursor doesn't show through transparent images in emacs 22, unlike emacs 21
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:12:30 -0400

On 9/6/06, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>>     > What exactly is the workaround you recommend?
>>
>>     Use :mask ...
>>
>> Then how about changing the default value for :mask?
>
> There is no sensible default.  What is useful as a mask depends on the
> image in question.  Using heuristic-mask can mean that the whole image
> flashes, but it can also mean that just a single corner pixel blinks.
>
> Even when a mask is specified, using the whole mask as a cursor
> indication is not a good idea, since a large image with a background
> will then flash horribly.  The right fix in my opinion would be to use
> the border of the image (extending into the image itself if the border
> is too small, overwriting the image when no mask is given, but maybe
> heeding the mask if it is given).  For a block cursor, there should be
> a maximum number of pixels that is affected.  If this number is
> exceeded, a box cursor would be used with a thickness that does not
> cause the number of pixels to exceed the threshold, but lets it have
> at least the thickness of a box cursor + 1 pixel.
>
> Something like that.  Yes, sounds tiresome.

Indeed.  So...

can we please postpone resolving this until after the release.

There is currently a work-around (using :mask) in the FEW (if any)
cases where there is no border around an image that could be used for
the cursor.  And the other work-around is to specify a border.

This is not a new bug -- it's been like this since 21.1, and only
recently have we had just one user complaining about it.  And he
seems satisfied with the changes I made to use a block cursor
for small images.

the one catch is that i had not connected the :mask image spec with my
problem.  perhaps i'm dense, but i wonder whether the issue of
background, cursor, and image mask deserves some greater prominence in
the image documentation, so those floundering as i was get more
guidance.  as it currently stands, i wouldn't have connected the fact
that the mask can expose the "background of the frame" with the thing
i was trying to achieve, which is showing the cursor in the image.  (i
may have given it a try, but not been clear enough about whether to
expect the cursor to show through that i would notice whether or not
it worked.)

so i expect that at least some documentation improvement is in order.

--
ken
address@hidden