Re: need option so line-move-to-column ignores fields, plus patch

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: need option so line-move-to-column ignores fields, plus patch
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 02:54:54 -0400

    i would still be worried that the cursor will annoyingly get pushed
    rightwards when moving across content lines, due to traversing
    headlines of deep topics, where the structure portion of the line
    extends further to the right.

That could certainly happen, but why would it be annoying?
The cursor would come back towards the original column as you move
onward into lines whose structure portion is shorter.

This is like what happens when you start at a high-numbered column
and move through lines that are too short to reach that column.

      this would be mitigated by preserving
    and restoring the displaced leftwards placements,

I don't understand those words.

                                                      but the behavior i'm
    concerned with doesn't obtain for the cases you're considering, so i
    doubt it would be provided for.

Which cases do you mean by "the cases [I'm] considering"?
I am considering the allout cases you describe.

      (i kinda doubt that my description of
    the concern is readily understandable, sigh).

If the "description of the concern" refers to the words I cited
at the top of this message, I think I understand the behavior,
but I don't understand why you see it as a problem.

    the option simplifies this concern.

That's not enough to make the option _necessary_.
Remember I want to avoid options when possible.
If we can get good enough behavior without one,
then the option isn't needed.