Re: fringe indicators

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: fringe indicators
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 10:36:49 +1200

Richard Stallman writes:
 >       I find the sometimes the fringe is too noisy and it's hard to see the
 > overlay
 >     arrow.  How about subduing the truncation and continuation line
 > indicators by
 >     using the shadow face?
 >
 > Please let's stick to fixing bugs.

It was just a five minute change, anyway here's a bug:

The manual says:

 -- Variable: indicate-buffer-boundaries

     There are four kinds of basic values:

    ANYTHING-ELSE
          Display the icon at the top of the window top in the left
          fringe, and other in the right fringe.

Perhaps that should say

          Display the angle icon at the top of the window in the left
          fringe, and at the bottom of the window in the right fringe.

A value of t seems to display an angle item angle icons at the top and bottom
of the window but both in the left fringe.

Also it doesn't make sense to say ANYTHING-ELSE and then go on to say what
further values mean:

     If value is a cons `(ANGLES . ARROWS)', ANGLES controls the angle
     icons, and ARROWS controls the arrows.  Both ANGLES and ARROWS...

Perhaps ANYTHING-ELSE should be t and this should be equivalent to (t . nil)
or perhaps ANYTHING-ELSE should be (ANGLES . ARROWS).