Re: calc-dispatch problem

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: calc-dispatch problem
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:30:45 +0200

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:05:08 +0100
Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:

#> > Evaluate (global-set-key (kbd "M-`") 'calc-dispatch)
#> >
#> > Press "M-`" twice, *fast*. I get an error "calc-embedded-edit: Expected
`)'"
#> >
#> > If I press "M-`" slowly, however (with about 1-2 second pause between
#> > first and second keypress), calc opens properly.
#> >
#> > Strange. Any ideas?
#>
#> It seems to be deliberate. calc-dispatch uses (sit-for
#> echo-keystrokes) to wait for further input, then acts differently
#> depending on what keys were pressed or if the sit-for timed out starts
#> calc normally.

I still find it strange.

So, OK, repeating calc-dispatch key fast does indeed send current line
to some kind of "Calc edit mode"... but only if I *have not* opened calc
before. Once I do "M-`" slowly *once*, it subsequently works even when
typed quickly.

Honestly, it really does look like a bug to me -- at the very least we
should strive for some kind of consistent behaviour.

#> Repeating the keys that invoked calc-dispatch seems to try to
#> evaluate the current line using calc as far as I can tell.

Exactly what calc-dispatch tries to do depends, I think, on what key is
it bound to... it seems like second (quick) keypress is interpreted
according to what calc-dispatch-help, but a second keypress after a
pause wants to toggle calc. Any chance of making this "deliberate
behaviour" customisable?

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

Be nice to other people--they outnumber you six billion to one.