Re: Percent sign in message

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Percent sign in message
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:13:14 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Could be.  But the warning can be turned off by using (message "%s" <exp>).
>
>> That would need to be
>> (message "%s" (format <exp>))
>
> Well, only if <exp> contains escaped % signs.  It's generally not
> the case.
>
>> It is not unusual to obtain a _format_ string from some non-constant
>> source.
>
> But it then comes with some arguments as well, doesn't it?

So what you mean is not
  "the warning can be turned off by using (message "%s" <exp>)"
but rather
  "the warning can be turned off by using (message <exp> <exp>+)"

Namely: warn if we use a _single_ non-constant expression as argument,
but don't complain if we use more than one expression as argument.

I'd consider that a good idea, but I find it hard to gather this as
your proposal from the wording you used.