Re: local keymap patch for key-binding

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: local keymap patch for key-binding
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:23:13 +0200

>     > If you thing it reasonable that key-binding should also react to
>     > bona-fide events _not_ wrapped in an array, I can do this easily
>     > enough in the change I am working on.
>
> Please don't make that change.  key-binding is supposed to look up a
> sequence of events; it expects that sequence to be in a vector or
> string.  There is nothing wrong with that, and no need to change it.
>
> I think we simply had a misunderstanding about what it means to say
> that key-binding can "look up events".  In my way of looking at
> things, you give key-binding a vector of events, and what it does is
> "look up events."

Ok, I'll rework my patch.

The change I proposed concerning read-key-sequence was for the sake of
letting both keymap and local-map properties (if they are specified in
a string) be heeded.  The current code only heeds the first of two.

That puts the behavior out of line with the documentation without good
reason.  While this case will probably occur rarely, I see no reason
not to do the correct thing as documented.