Re: Splash screen and gnuserv

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Splash screen and gnuserv
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:26:05 +0200

Chong Yidong wrote:
Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

I think there is a problem with the splash screen and
gnuclient/server. I do not know if this problem exists with
emacsclient/server, but it would be good if someone tested. Below is a
description from a message in help-emacs-windows. I believe this is
enough to describe the problem. I have tested this with

  In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)

I can't reproduce this on GNU Emacs 22.0.50.14 (i686-pc-linux-gnu,
GTK+ Version 2.8.20).  I guess this is Windows-only.

Thanks. Does that mean that there is something in emacsserver that turns off the splash screen?

~/.emacs:
;; load viper
(setq viper-mode t)
(require 'viper)

~/.viper:
(setq viper-inhibit-startup-message 't)
(setq viper-expert-level '5)

For example, I open a .txt file (bound to gnuclientw) from the Desktop,
Emacs comes up, shows the EmacsW32 splash page, and then the .txt file.
The status bar shows (V). I try the 'j' & 'k' movement keys and it
inserts characters.
It seems like this has something to do with the splash screen. If I
turn off the splash screen the problem disappears.

To turn off it do

  M-x customize-option RET
  Customize variable: inhibit-splash-screen

and then set inhibit-splash-screen to "on" and save the value.