Re: Emacs (cvs) hangs on startup on remote X server (UTF8, xfs)

From: Peter Whaite
Subject: Re: Emacs (cvs) hangs on startup on remote X server (UTF8, xfs)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:07:18 -0400

Jan,

Thanks for taking the time to think about this.

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> wrote:
> How about:
> DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 xterm -fn fixed

No change.

> or
> DISPLAY=tripe:0.0 LANG=en_CA.UTF-8 emacs -Q -fn lucidasanstypewriter-12

It still misbehaves, but sometimes I have to generate 2 xevents (by
pressing the control key) before the emacs frame appears.

> Where is xfs in the fontlist?  Is it before anything else?

Its at the end.  It looks like

       C:\...Lib\Fonts\misc
       C:\...Lib\Fonts\75dpi
       msfonts
       tcp/brains:7100

msfonts tells it to use the installed w32 fonts.

I played around with the order.  If msfonts is at the top of the list
the emacs frame appears without delay (but the fonts sizes and
selections are messed up), and if msfonts is last then emacs nearly
always hangs pending an xevent.  I have the impression that moving
msfonts towards the end increases the chance that the emacs will hang
but its not clear cut.

> Do you see any messages in syslog (you may have to enable use-syslog
> in the xfs config file and restart xfs)?

use-syslog is enabled. I see nothing in /var/log/messages (or any other
/var/log/ file).

It does look as though the problem is a function of how long it takes to
"resolve" the fonts.  Could be a w32 server problem as you say, or some
kind of incompatibility between the old w32 server, and the new X
client libraries that come with FC5.

It could even be emacs. There have been a lot of changes around sit-for
and read-events lately.  If I get time I'll go back to an older cvs and
see if the problem is still there.

--
Peter Whaite (http://whaite.ca)